[ovirt-users] oVirt and Ubuntu>=14.04?

Milan Zamazal mzamazal at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 13:01:18 UTC 2016

Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo at redhat.com> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 1:22 AM, Jon Forrest <jon.forrest at locationlabs.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/20/16 4:11 PM, Charles Kozler wrote:
>>
>>> oVirt is the upstream source project for RedHat Enterprise
>>> Virtualization (RHEV). As expected, its only supported on CentOS 7 (and
>>> older versions on 6)
>>
>> This makes sense. But, do either of these components work on Ubuntu,
>> and, if so, how well?
>
> Milan Zamal is working on porting to Debian. He may give you some more
> updated information.

As for Ubuntu/Debian guests, there were some bugs in Debian packaging of
ovirt-guest-agent that have been recently fixed by the Debian
maintainer.  I think ovirt-guest-agent package is unchanged in Ubuntu,
so the updated version should work there.

As for Ubuntu/Debian hosts, it's more complicated.  The supporting
libraries for Vdsm are available as Debian packages although they
probably need to be updated to current upstream versions.  The major
problem is Vdsm itself.  I tried to make it working on Debian, but it's
not an easy task, some things work and some don't (e.g. the networking
setup is different on Debian based systems).  Currently Vdsm is not
usable on Debian, more fixes are needed.  If anybody is interested in
that work, I can provide more information.

As for Engine, I don't know about any plans to make it running on Debian
or its derivatives.  One can run Engine in a VM or a container so there
is no real motivation to port it to systems other than CentOS or RHEL.

> As always, help in the effort is welcome :-)

Definitely! :-)

Regards,
Milan