[ovirt-users] Average VM per host

Joop jvdwege at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 21 14:03:56 UTC 2016

On 19-10-2016 22:50, Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
> Le 19/10/2016 à 19:49, Yaniv Kaul a écrit :
>> On Oct 19, 2016 5:56 PM, "Nicolas Ecarnot" <nicolas at ecarnot.net
>> <mailto:nicolas at ecarnot.net>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>
> Hello Yaniv,
>

>>> Though I read some surveys about this, I'd rather directly ask the
>> oVirt community this question, and especially to people using it as a
>> production cluster : as an average, how many VM are running on each of
>> your hosts?
>>
>> The host with 1TB RAM or 64GB?
>>
>> There is no meaningful average for two reasons :
>> - Host specs (example above) - some believe in scale up (fewer but
>> stronger hosts), some believe in scale out (more hosts, not as high
>> end).
>
> *This* is mainly the point I am expecting to get some stats.
> Literature about competitor's products are commonly describing few and
> strong hosts scenario, but I'd like to know how it goes in oVirt's world

We've got around 100VMs with 175vCPUs running on 48pCPUs spread over 4
hosts. At the moment the storage layer is the limiting factor. VMs are a
mix of postgres database servers wildfly application servers with
geoserver and then some assorted infrastructure stuff and a couple of
Windows servers.

Regards,

Joop