[ovirt-users] oVirt engine and primary DNS

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Thu Oct 27 10:10:12 UTC 2016

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 11:42 AM, Jonas Israelsson <
jonas.israelsson at elementary.se> wrote:

> On 27/10/16 11:34, Simone Tiraboschi wrote:
>

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Jonas Israelsson <
> jonas.israelsson at elementary.se> wrote:
>
>> Greetings.
>>
>> We are under the impression if the machine that runs the oVirt-engine
>> looses it's primary nameserver, the oVirt web-ui becomes more or less
>> unresponsive.
>>
>> By primary I mean the nameserver at the top of resolv.conf
>>
>> In 3.x it was a disaster, 4.0 is far better, but for instance trying to
>> import storage domains just gives you a spinning wheel when it's searching
>> for nfs-domains to display.
>>
>> By reorder the nameservers in resolv.conf we got it working yesterday
>> during our 3.6 ---> 4.0 migration.
>>
>> Could someone confirm this, please ?
>>

> Yes, in order to correctly work, oVirt requires a working DNS also for
> reverse resolution.
>
> Well it's not like the machine (nor oVirt) doesn’t have a working DNS. My
> point is, I'm under the impression it only uses one (the first) from
> resolv.conf and ignores the rest.

Not really, the default behavior is:

(The algorithm used is to try a name server, and if the query times out,
try the next, until out of name servers, then repeat trying all the name
servers until a maximum number of retries are made.)
From:
https://linux.die.net/man/5/resolver

That's why you see delays if the first DNS entry is not correctly working.