[ovirt-users] ovirt homeserver

Beckman, Daniel Daniel.Beckman at ingramcontent.com
Fri Oct 28 19:26:14 UTC 2016

Hi David,

Since you mention this is for testing and learning the technology, I’d go with option #2. You’ll lose some performance but that shouldn’t matter for your purposes, and you’ll gain a lot of flexibility.

KVM is a basic building block for oVirt and Openstack. It’s a valuable skill set to have, even outside of RH based distributions. It’s fairly simple to troubleshoot, there’s not so many moving parts. It’s like a reliable old car with a stick shift and roll-up windows.

If you only have one physical server at your disposal and you choose option #1, then you have to use a self-hosted engine. I personally don’t like the self-hosted engine. That could be due to some bad experiences early in its history, and maybe it’s much improved with oVirt 4.x.  But I’d much rather have a plain old KVM VM (for the oVirt engine) that I can make a clone or snapshot of.  That has saved me from rebuilding many times.

I’ve never used GPU pass-through; hopefully someone else can address that.

Yes, CentOS is your best bet; stick with the default kernel. You could use Fedora if you’re adventurous but I don’t recommend it. You’ll have the best experience if your environment is close to what is supported in the commercial product, RHV.

Take advantage of the official RHV documentation, most of which is applicable to oVirt upstream.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-virtualization/

And have fun!
Daniel