[ovirt-users] ovirt homeserver

Martin Polednik mpolednik at redhat.com
Mon Oct 31 07:30:22 UTC 2016

On 28/10/16 17:46 +0100, david caughey wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm building a homeserver to run ovirt and wanted to get opinions on the
>best approach.
>The server will be used as a test/studybed for
>ovirt/kvm/vcloud/openstack/ceph.
>The server will be based around a Xeon E5 10 core with 128GB ram.
>Option 1:
>Build server with CentOS 7.2 and deploy ovirt directly on top.

Perfect if you have/expect multiple machines. How do you expect to
handle storage?

>Option 2:
>Build server with CentOS 7.2 and deploy multiple ovirt instances on top of
>KVM.

Perfect for single machine setup.

>Which will be the most stable versatile method?
>If a GPU is used as a passthrough device can it be used on several vm's or
>is it restricted to 1 vm?

Single card for single VM meaning 1:1 mapping only for now.

>If 2 GPU's are used can 1 be used as a dedicated passthrough to 1 vm and
>the other shared between the remaining vm's?

As stated above, no. Most typical home lab setup uses 2 GPUs, one for
hypervisor and other one to be assigned to a VM.

>Is CentOS/RH the best platform for ovirt?

For playing around and general usage, yes (in my opinion :) ).

>Is it okay/advisable to load the latest kernel, (4.8 ish), on to CentOS
>before installing ovirt?

I wouldn't really do that, you'd have to bump up version of KVM,
possibly QEMU and libvirt -- in the end you'd end up running fedora.

mpolednik