[ovirt-users] oVirt on a single server

zero four zfnoctis at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 16:45:25 EDT 2016

My current understanding is that oVirt no longer supports any single-server
configuration since the All-In-One install was removed in 3.6.  While the
hosted-engine install was supposed to replace it, it requires either
networked storage (nfs, iscsi) or Glusterfs.  To my knowledge nfs/iscsi
exported to localhost is not supported, so I would need at least 2
machines.  Furthermore Gluster requires at least 3 sources of storage for
quorum (it would be great if there was an option to acknowledge the risks
and continue), meaning a single machine is not practical.

I understand and acknowledge that oVirt is not targeted towards homelab
setups, or at least small homelab setups.  However I believe that having a
solid configuration for such use cases would be a benefit to the project as
a whole.  It allows oVirt to be much more visible in the homelab community,
and more accessible to testing which in turn yields more people who have
experience with oVirt.  As it stands most other virtualization products
allow for usage (not just a livecd) in a single server environment,
although not all features can be used of course.  vSphere, Xenserver,
Proxmox, FIFO, and Nutanix all allow an installation on a single server. It
appears that oVirt/RHV is the odd-one out - and it honestly shows when you
look at what people talk about online - there is a huge gap between even
Proxmox and oVirt when it comes to mindshare in the tech community, and it
does not favor oVirt.