[ovirt-users] Limit DWH database size

nicolas at devels.es nicolas at devels.es
Thu Sep 1 16:23:32 UTC 2016

Hi Didi,

El 2016-09-01 14:02, Yedidyah Bar David escribió:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Didi, Shirly, can you help here?
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 8:52 AM, <nicolas at devels.es> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Since we upgraded to 4.0.x, DWH's PostgreSQL database is getting
>>> really huge. Is there a clean way to limit its size, like setting
>>> a maximal retention time for DWH data?
>
> Earlier today replied to a similar question, search list archives for
> "Change Engine History Logging from Advanched to Basic".

Just to confirm: I already have basic DWH configured, and the content of
/etc/ovirt-engine-dwh/ovirt-engine-dwhd.conf.d/10-setup-scale.conf is:

   DWH_TABLES_KEEP_SAMPLES=24
   DWH_TABLES_KEEP_HOURLY=720
   DWH_TABLES_KEEP_DAILY=0

So according to [1] regarding "DWH_TABLES_KEEP_HOURLY":

   The number of hours that hourly data is stored. The default is 60
days.
   Hourly data more than two days old is aggregated into dailydata.

if I reduce that value to say 240 (10 days), any older entry from that
should be erased upon a DWH restart, right?

Thanks.

   [1]:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6/pdf/Reports_and_Data_Warehouse_Guide/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization-3.6-Reports_and_Data_Warehouse_Guide-en-US.pdf