[ovirt-users] Ovirt with bad IO performance

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Fri Sep 2 14:05:53 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Gabriel Ozaki <gabriel.ozaki at kemi.com.br>
wrote:

> Hi
> i am trying Ovirt 4.0 and i am getting some strange results when comparing
> with Xenserver
>
> **The host machine*
> Intel Core i5-4440 3.10GHz running at 3093 MHz
> 8 Gb of RAM (1x8)
> 500 Gb of Disk (seagate st500dm002 7200rpm)
> CentOS 7 (netinstall for the most updated and stable packages)
>

> **How i am testing:*
> I choose two benchmark tools, sysbench(epel-repo on centos) and
> novabench(for windows guest, https://novabench.com ), then i make a clean
> install of xenserver and create two guests(CentOS and Windows 7 SP1)
>

> **The Guest specs*
> 2 cores
> 4 Gb of RAM
> 60 Gb of disk (using virtIO in a NFS storage)

The nfs server is in the host?

> Important note: only the testing guest are up on benchmark and i have
> installed the drivers in guest
>

> **The Sysbench disk test(creates 10Gb of data and do the bench):*
> # sysbench --test=fileio --file-total-size=10G prepare
> # sysbench --test=fileio --file-total-size=10G --file-test-mode=rndrw
> --init-rng=on --max-time=300 --max-requests=0 run
>
> Host result:            2.9843Mb/sec
> Ovirt result:           1.1561Mb/sec
> Xenserver result:   2.9006Mb/sec

- Is this 2.9GiB/s or 2.9 MiB/s?
- Are you testing using NFS in all versions?
- What is the disk format?
- How do you test io on the host?
- What kind of nic is used? (1G, 10G?)

> **The novabench test:*
> Ovirt result:          79Mb/s
> Xenserver result:  101Mb/s

We need much more details to understand what do you test here.

- For ovirt, can you share the vm command line, available in
/var/log/libvirt/qemu/vmname.log?
- For Xenserver - detailed description of the vm and the storage
configuration?

Nir