[ovirt-users] proper update steps for HE (same major branch)

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 06:05:44 UTC 2016

Please check https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/hosted-engine/ .

> My initial thought is:
>
> 1. From oVirt web update my individual nodes that are marked as "a new
> version is available"
>
> 2. Logon to oVirt web through SSH and then yum update -y there

That's not enough, you need also 'engine-setup'. But please check the howto.

> Or is it backwards? I just want to be sure so that I do not break
> hosted-engine because I had to rebuild entirely on oVirt 4 after I could not
> get the engines out of 'stale data' in hosted-engine --vm-status so I am
> very cautious to update

I strongly suggest to try these things on a test system (can be nested-kvm
VMs for hosts, no need for more physical boxes) before trying on production,
if downtime is critical. That's true for anything you do on production, not
only oVirt- or hosted-engine-related stuff.

Best,

> I've read a couple posts on this list before but I want to be absolutely
> sure before I do this
>
> Thanks!

Didi