[ovirt-users] Nested oVirt : Unofficial network recommendations wanted

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Fri Sep 16 10:32:37 UTC 2016

Le 15/09/2016 à 23:27, Edward Haas a écrit :

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas at ecarnot.net
> <mailto:nicolas at ecarnot.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I'm trying to setup a nested oVirt for the first time, and
>     according to what I read around and experience, some special
>     network settings have to be chosen.
>
>     For this first try, the bare-metal host is a Debian, running KVM,
>     and the virtual NICs are setup as macvtap in VEPA mode.
>

> On what device you attached it? Bridge? the physical nic?

On my physical host, ifconfig is showing the following devices :
- lo, obviously
- eth0, primary used
- wlan0, not used, WIFI...
- virbr0
- virbr0-nic

The last two devices were created when installing and playing with the
KVM Virtual Machine Manager.

When trying to assign one of them to a VM, the only choices are :
- NAT
- eth0: macvtap
- wlan0: macvtap
- custom

and the source mode can be chosen between :
- Bridge
- VEPA
- Private
- Passthrough

My main goal is simplicity, and I'd rather use simple bridging, no NAT,
simple.

What would be the simplest choice?

>     I'm not up to date with macvtap, but I think I understood that one
>     of its limit was that no packet could be exchanged between the
>     host and the guests. So far, this is leading me to access my own
>     local VMs from another host. Too bad.
>
>     I'm also witnessing frequent loss of packets.
>
>     So far, I'm also seeing that guests can not ping each others, so
>     I'm not going further before having solved these basic issues.
>

> By definition: http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/MacVTap
>
>     I'm remembering the good old times of lots of bridges where my VMs
>     could be reached by anyone (this was desired), but virt manager is
>     not offering me this choice. I also would like to avoid NAT for
>     other reasons.
>
>     To you all (4) people who are playing with nested oVirt :
>     - which is your preferred bare metal OS?
>     - which is your preferred guest (first virt level) OS?
>     - which network setups and modes are working best?
>
>     Thank you.
>
>     --
>     Nicolas ECARNOT

Nicolas ECARNOT