[ovirt-users] Nested oVirt : Unofficial network recommendations wanted

Edward Haas ehaas at redhat.com
Fri Sep 16 18:21:53 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas at ecarnot.net>
wrote:

> Le 15/09/2016 à 23:27, Edward Haas a écrit :
>

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas at ecarnot.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to setup a nested oVirt for the first time, and according to
>> what I read around and experience, some special network settings have to be
>> chosen.
>>
>> For this first try, the bare-metal host is a Debian, running KVM, and the
>> virtual NICs are setup as macvtap in VEPA mode.
>>

> On what device you attached it? Bridge? the physical nic?
>

> On my physical host, ifconfig is showing the following devices :
> - lo, obviously
> - eth0, primary used
> - wlan0, not used, WIFI...
> - virbr0
> - virbr0-nic
>
> The last two devices were created when installing and playing with the KVM
> Virtual Machine Manager.
>
> When trying to assign one of them to a VM, the only choices are :
> - NAT
> - eth0: macvtap
> - wlan0: macvtap
> - custom
>
> and the source mode can be chosen between :
> - Bridge
> - VEPA
> - Private
> - Passthrough
>
> My main goal is simplicity, and I'd rather use simple bridging, no NAT,
> simple.
>
> What would be the simplest choice?

With Virtual Machine Manager you can edit-connection details and create
bridges on the host that you can connect to.
I usually use an isolated network, that does not connect to the outside
world and is limited to the host. If I need it to access the outside world,
I can either connect one of the nics to the bridge created on the host or
just create another vnic that uses nat/macvtap.
Note that VMM is mainly focused on simple VM connectivity, using it for
nested virtualization is not simple and will require from you additional
effort.