[ovirt-users] Question about Bridge and macvtap

Edward Haas ehaas at redhat.com
Sun Sep 25 12:20:10 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Fernando Frediani <
fernando.frediani at upx.com.br> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Quick question between Linux Bridge which is used by default in oVirt and
> macvtap which can be used in libvirt/KVM.
>
> What are the downsides or limitations of using macvtap ? Does it have any
> significa performance improvement over bridge ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Fernando

In theory, using a macvtap instead of a bridge is supposed to provide a
better utilization.
It mainly depends if you reach your system limits and where.
We have not done such tests. If you will manage to do some, it will be
great if you'll share your results.

macvtap, like macvlan has some specific traffic flow definitions:
http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/MacVTap
I guess one of the limitations it presents, is the ability to control
traffic between vnics that connect to the same host nic.
In a bridge mode, traffic between such vnics will not be seen at the host
at all, while in a VEPA mode such traffic will not
be routed at all (unless special measures are taken).