[ovirt-users] ovirt 4.1 : Can't install guest tools for Zentyal 5.0 (based on ubuntu 16.04 xenial)

yayo (j) jaganz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 08:18:35 UTC 2017

Hi,

I just tried that with development version of Zentyal and it works for
> me. Well, there are some caveats, see below.

Please provide steps not just "works for me" ... Thank you

> > Just wanted to add my input.  I just recently noticed the same thing.
> > Luckily i was just testing Zentyal, but when I installed python-apt after
> > reading the error message, apt seemed to completely break.  I would be
> > curious on a workaround/fix for this as well.
>
> Could you be more specific? What was the problem? Was it problem with
> python-apt per-se or with ovirt-guest-agent using python-apt?

In the past with Zentyal 5 Dev Edition I had the same error: Added
suggested repository that want install "python-apt" and remove "apt-get"
(because conflicts)

> > On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 9:28 AM, yayo (j) <jaganz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have this problem: I'm tring to install the guest tools following
> this
> > > guide: https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/guest-
> > > agent/install-the-guest-agent-in-ubuntu/#for-ubuntu-1604
>
> I've noticed that the ovirt-guest-agent package available in the
> repository mentioned on the oVirt site is missing dependency on
> qemu-guest-agent. You have to install it additionally for oVirt to work
> properly.

*Steps with repository:*
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/evilissimo:/ubuntu:/16.04/xUbuntu_16.04/

*Update:*

root at vmdczen01:~# apt-get update
Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease [102 kB]
Hit:2 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease
Get:3 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease [102 kB]
Get:4 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease [102
kB]
Hit:5 http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal 5.0 InRelease
Ign:6
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/evilissimo:/ubuntu:/16.04/xUbuntu_16.04
InRelease
Hit:7
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/evilissimo:/ubuntu:/16.04/xUbuntu_16.04
Release
Fetched 306 kB in 0s (325 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done

*Tring to install:*

root at vmdczen01:~# apt-get install ovirt-guest-agent
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 ovirt-guest-agent : Depends: python-apt but it is not going to be installed

*Zentyal version is: *5.0.8

So, this repository is *totally broken*

> If you, however, instal the ovirt-guest-agent from official Ubuntu
> repository there is different issue. There is this unresolved bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ovirt-guest-agent/+bug/1609130
>
> You have to fix permissions on /var/log/ovirt-guest-agent as mentioned
> in the bug report.

The problem is the same, if you remove the extra repisotory and then try to
use the "main" repository, you have the problem with python-apt

Extra tests:

I have tried to install "python-apt" directly and I can reproduce the
problem mentioned by Stewart:

Update (Check that extra repository is commented out):

root at vmdczen01:~# apt-get update
Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease [102 kB]
Get:2 http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal 5.0 InRelease [4,887 B]
Get:3 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease [247 kB]
Get:4 http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal 5.0/main amd64 Packages [28.1 kB]
Get:5 http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal 5.0/main i386 Packages [6,218 B]
Get:6 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main amd64 Packages
[325 kB]
Get:7 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease [102 kB]
Get:8 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease [102
kB]
Get:9 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages [1,201
kB]
Get:10 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main i386 Packages [1,196
kB]
Get:11 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main i386 Packages
[306 kB]
Get:12 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main Translation-en [568
kB]
Get:13 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
[7,532 kB]
Get:14 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe i386 Packages
[7,512 kB]
Get:15 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe Translation-en
[4,354 kB]
Get:16 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/multiverse amd64 Packages
[144 kB]
Get:17 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/multiverse i386 Packages
[140 kB]
Get:18 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/multiverse Translation-en
[106 kB]
Get:19 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64
Packages [599 kB]
Get:20 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main i386
Packages [577 kB]
Get:21 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main
Translation-en [242 kB]
Get:22 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/universe amd64
Packages [512 kB]
Get:23 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/universe i386
Packages [494 kB]
Get:24 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/universe
Translation-en [199 kB]
Get:25 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/multiverse amd64
Packages [15.5 kB]
Get:26 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/multiverse i386
Packages [14.6 kB]
Get:27 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/multiverse
Translation-en [7,540 B]
Get:28 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/main amd64
Packages [4,680 B]
Get:29 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/main i386
Packages [4,688 B]
Get:30 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/main
Translation-en [3,216 B]
Get:31 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/universe amd64
Packages [5,800 B]
Get:32 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/universe i386
Packages [5,800 B]
Get:33 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/universe
Translation-en [3,004 B]
Get:34 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main
Translation-en [138 kB]
Get:35 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/restricted amd64
Packages [7,420 B]
Get:36 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/restricted i386
Packages [7,420 B]
Get:37 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/restricted
Translation-en [2,428 B]
Get:38 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/universe amd64
Packages [152 kB]
Get:39 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/universe i386
Packages [135 kB]
Get:40 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/universe
Translation-en [77.9 kB]
Get:41 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/multiverse amd64
Packages [2,748 B]
Get:42 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/multiverse i386
Packages [2,908 B]
Get:43 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/multiverse
Translation-en [1,232 B]
Fetched 27.2 MB in 7s (3,642 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done

Now, try to install "python-apt":

root at vmdczen01:~# apt-get install python-apt
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
  acl apache2-utils auth-client-config heimdal-clients krb5-config
ldb-tools libapr1 libaprutil1 libassuan0 libauthen-krb5-easy-perl
libdata-hexdumper-perl libfile-libmagic-perl libhdb9-heimdal
libkadm5clnt7-heimdal
  libkadm5srv8-heimdal libkafs0-heimdal libksba8 libldb1
libmodule-pluggable-perl libnet-dns-perl libnet-ntp-perl libnpth0
libnss-winbind libotp0-heimdal libpam-pwquality libpam-winbind
libpwquality-common libpwquality1
  libpython2.7 libquota-perl libreadline7 libsl0-heimdal
libsys-filesystem-perl libtalloc2 libtdb1 libtevent0 libtirpc1 libuuid-perl
libwbclient0 linux-headers-4.4.0-83 linux-headers-4.4.0-83-generic
  linux-image-4.4.0-83-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-83-generic ntpdate
python-crypto python-dnspython python-ldb python-samba python-talloc
python-tdb quota rsync samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-libs
  samba-vfs-modules tdb-tools update-inetd winbind zentyal-ntp
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
Suggested packages:
  python-apt-dbg python-apt-doc
Recommended packages:
  xz-utils
*The following packages will be REMOVED:*
*  apt apt-utils gnupg gnupg-agent libgpgme11 pinentry-curses
samba-dsdb-modules ubuntu-minimal zentyal-samba*
  python-apt
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  apt gnupg (due to apt)
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 9 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 139 kB of archives.
After this operation, 8,747 kB disk space will be freed.
*You are about to do something potentially harmful.*
*To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'*
* ?] n*
Abort

.

And this is a BIG problem ... Can I open a bug ? Where?

> Did you run 'apt-get update' to synchronize the repository content?

Yes (see above)