[ovirt-users] Domain name in use? After failed domain setup?

Schorschi schorschi at dc.rr.com
Tue Aug 8 03:40:46 UTC 2017

Well, not sure this legit to try, but did try it.. And it seemed to
work, I was able to recreate the storage domain as needed...  Access the
database, and find the bogus storage domain.  I figured out the table
names from other discussions about accessing the database directly to
clean up storage domains that are broken or bogus.

# su - postgres
$ psql engine

engine=# select id, storage_name from storage_domain_static;
                   id                  |      storage_name
--------------------------------------+------------------------
  072fbaa1-08f3-4a40-9f34-a5ca22dd1d74 | ovirt-image-repository
  3e81b68f-5ddd-49a3-84e5-7209493b490a | Datastore_01
  2b6d2e60-6cfb-45cd-a6e1-8cf38ad2bf34 | Datastore_02
  66f9539a-d43a-4b0b-a823-c8dafa829804 | Datastore_03
  1878bd36-7bca-4d6b-9d39-fe99ba347115 | Datastore_04
  aa5542bd-b43a-4ae6-a996-208c10842878 | Datastore_05
(6 rows)

Delete the 'Datastore_02' storage domain...  Maybe someone can explain
why the same id is in two different tables?  That seems odd?

engine=# delete from storage_domain_dynamic where
id='2b6d2e60-6cfb-45cd-a6e1-8cf38ad2bf34';
DELETE 1
engine=# delete from storage_domain_static where
id='2b6d2e60-6cfb-45cd-a6e1-8cf38ad2bf34';
DELETE 1

Then I was able to remove the connection...  Still have no idea why I
could not remove the domain and connection via ovirt shell, as noted
before in previous mail discussion...

[oVirt shell (connected)]# show storageconnection
21fbad73-f855-48fc-8949-e5d6b077eb83

id         : 21fbad73-f855-48fc-8949-e5d6b077eb83
address    : crazy
nfs_version: auto
path       : /storage/nfs/datastore_02
type       : nfs

[oVirt shell (connected)]# remove storageconnection
21fbad73-f855-48fc-8949-e5d6b077eb83

job-id      : ba9094ee-8d6e-438b-b774-601540320768
status-state: complete

I also had to clean up the file system under the connection... since it
appears the file system structure was created BEFORE the error resulted
that kicked off this, that is also a bug, IMHO, since it should have
cleaned up the files created, but the storage domain was never FULLY
established.  This is something oVirt has never done... cleaned up will
after errors... I remember all the way back in version 3.0 if not
before, how clean up is never done well.  This is an example apparently.

A suggestion... is the master is not 100% active, and a request to
create a new domain is queued, does it not make sense, the failure
should be graceful, clean up the database, and the file system below the
storage domain?  Would see to be a very 'user' friendly thing to do.  I
mean, this a way to protect both the environment and the user from a
typical issue.  The same should be done for attach of domain, i.e. the
storage domain and storage connection clean up, if error results.

If there still some junk in the database I need to cleanup, please let
me know?