[ovirt-users] host timeout for remote colo

Bill James bill.james at j2.com
Fri Aug 25 16:22:40 UTC 2017

thanks, we found when we switched to a different internet provider that
the network issues went away.
I'll look into upgrading, but it hard for us to keep up. We just got to
4.1.0 recently.  :-)

On 8/24/17 10:57 PM, Yaniv Kaul wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 9:55 PM, Bill James <bill.james at j2.com
> <mailto:bill.james at j2.com>> wrote:
>
>     We have an ovirt master (engine) host in Los Angeles and some
>     remote servers in the UK.
>     Normally they work fine, but when there is a heavy load on the UK
>     servers the management engine has problems with heartbeat and ends
>     up trying to restart the nodes.
>

> Perhaps the mgmt interface is used for traffic other than mgmt? On
> small scale it's OK. For bigger scale and workloads, it's best to
> separate traffic to dedicated NICs.
>

>     I saw in this thread that I can change vdsHeartbeatInSeconds
>     (https://www.mail-archive.com/users@ovirt.org/msg41695.html
>     <https://www.mail-archive.com/users@ovirt.org/msg41695.html>)
>     but I don't really want to change it globally, just for the nodes
>     in UK.
>     Also not sure how to get the current setting of that value, only
>     how to change it. How do I tell current value?  I heard default is
>     30 seconds.
>

> To change it:
> usr/share/ovirt-engine/dbscripts/engine-psql.sh -c "update vdc_options
> set option_value = 90 where option_name = 'vdsHeartbeatInSeconds'
>

>     ovirt-engine-4.1.0.4-1.el7.centos.noarch
>

> I recommend upgrade, though not specifically due to the above issue.
>

>     Or maybe its not best practice to have a cluster that far from the
>     engine?
>

> We have an Engien in Israel managing hosts in Europe and the US.
> Y.
>

>     2017-08-24 11:27:51,921-07 WARN
>     [org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.VdsManager]
>     (DefaultQuartzScheduler3) [feefbf3f-d0e2-4a64-b008-80838d04f130]
>     Failed to refresh VDS, network error, continuing,
>     vds='ovirt1.evuk.j2noc.com
>     <http://ovirt1.evuk.j2noc.com>'(d0482635-93fd-4cc3-9c78-523078845f11):
>     VDSGenericException: VDSNetworkException: Heartbeat exceeded

Cloud Services for Business www.j2.com
j2 | eFax | eVoice | FuseMail | Campaigner | KeepItSafe | Onebox

This email, including its contents and attachments, contains information from j2 Global, Inc. and/or its affiliates that may be privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is intended for the addressee(s) only.  If you are not an addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution, or use of this message is prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply email and delete the message and any copies.  ©2017 j2 Global, Inc. and affiliates.  All rights reserved.  eFax®, eVoice®, Campaigner®, FuseMail®, KeepItSafe®, and Onebox® are trademarks of j2 Global, Inc. and affiliates.