[ovirt-users] Assign external IP to VM

Alex Bartonek Alex at unix1337.com
Tue Dec 26 22:38:57 UTC 2017

Need some guidance on this one.

Config:
1U with 2 NICs.
NIC 1 plugged to local switch - gets local IP
NIC 2 plugged direct to cable modem - need to set IP inside VM to public static IP
VM will be CentOS, already know how to configure NIC once I can get the 2nd NIC assigned to it.

Do I use PCI passthru?  Or where do I start to get this configured?  I did setup NIC 2 under Network --> Networks.   Created a NIC called "external_NIC".  External NIC has description and then I configured 2 DNS servers which are given to me by the ISP.

Under Compute --> Hosts --> <My Host> --> Network Interfaces (I have both NICs showing as up) --> Setup Host Networks ---> NIC 2 is the interface --> Assignment of Logical networks is "external_NIC".

I was assuming I was done, so I go to my VM add NIC 2, click run and I see:

Cannot run VM. There is no host that satisfies current scheduling constraints. See below for details:

- The host <MY HOST> did not satisfy internal filter Network because there are no free virtual functions which are suitable for virtual nic(s) nic2. A virtual function is considered as suitable if the VF's configuration of its physical function contains the virtual nic's network/network label.

Need guidance on what to read to get this working.

Thanks!