[ovirt-users] Q: 2-Node Failover Setup - NFS or GlusterFS ?

Andrei V andreil1 at starlett.lv
Sun Dec 31 22:50:31 UTC 2017

Hi !

I'm installing 2-node failover cluster (2 x Xeon servers with local RAID
5 / ext4 for oVirt storage domains).
Now I have a dilemma - use either GlusterFS replica 2 or stick with NFS?

4.2 Engine is running on separate hardware.
Each node have its own storage domain (on internal RAID).

All VMs must be highly available.
One of the VMs is an accounting/stock control system with FireBird SQL
server on CentOS is speed-critical.
No load balancing between nodes necessary. 2nd is just for backup if 1st
for whatever reason goes up in smoke. All VM disks must be replicated to
backup node in near real-time or in worst case each 1 - 2 hour.
GlusterFS solves this issue yet at high performance penalty.

>From what I read here
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2017-July/083144.html
GlusterFS performance with oVirt is not very good right now because QEMU
uses FUSE instead of libgfapi.

What is optimal way to go on ?
Thanks in advance.
Andrei