[ovirt-users] Attaching ISO to hosted engine for OS upgrade

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 17:17:18 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net> wrote:

> I'm working on upgrading an oVirt 3.5 setup.  The physical hosts are
> running CentOS 7, but the hosted engine is CentOS 6.  The upgrade notes
> are "back up the engine, upgrade/reinstall the OS, then restore", but I
> can't see how to actually install CentOS 7 on the engine.
>
> Am I supposed to re-run "hosted-engine --deploy"?  Wouldn't that try to
> re-register the physical hosts, or can I interrupt it to restore the
> backup?
>
> Or, is there a way to just attach an install ISO to the engine VM and
> boot from that?

On 3.6 we release the engine also for el6 so for 3.5/el6 to 3.6/el6 you
have just to:
- set global maintenance mode,
- add the 3.6 repo to the engine VM,
- run yum update ovirt-*-setup* on the engine VM
- run engine-setup
- upgrade the host to 3.6 setting maintenance mode one host at a time
- raise the cluster compatibility level

Then ee have a specific helper utility for 3.6/el6 -> 4.0/el7:
https://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/hosted-engine-migration-to-4-0/