[ovirt-users] Issue with OVN/OVS and mandatory ovirtmgmt network

Sverker Abrahamsson sverker at abrahamsson.com
Mon Jan 2 00:13:25 UTC 2017

1. That is not possible as ovirt (or vdsm) will rewrite the network
configuration to a non-working state. That is why I've set that if as
hidden to vdsm and is why I'm keen on getting OVS/OVN to work

2. I've been reading the doc for OVN and starting to connect the dots,
which is not trivial as it is complex. Some insights reached:

First step is the OVN database, installed by openvswitch-ovn-central,
which I currently have running on h2 host. The 'ovn-nbctl' and
'ovn-sbctl' commands are only possible to execute on a database node.
Two ip's are given to 'vdsm-tool ovn-config <ip to database> <tunnel
ip>' as arguments, where <ip to database> is how this OVN node reaches
the database and <tunnel ip> is the ip to which other OVN nodes sets up
a tunnel to this node. I.e. it is not for creating a tunnel to the
database which I thought first from the description in blog post.

The tunnel between OVN nodes is of type geneve which is a UDP based
protocol but I have not been able to find anywhere which port is used so
that I can open it in firewalld. I have added OVN on another host,
called h1, and connected it to the db. I see there is traffic to the db
port, but I don't see any geneve traffic between the nodes.

Ovirt is now able to create it's vnet0 interface on the br-int ovs
bridge, but then I run into the next issue. How do I create a connection
from the logical switch to the physical host? I need that to a) get a
connection out to the internet through a masqueraded if or ipv6 and b)
be able to run a dhcp server to give ip's to the VM's.

/Sverker