[ovirt-users] [HEADS UP] CentOS 7.3 is rolling out, need qemu-kvm-ev 2.6

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Mon Jan 2 14:24:52 UTC 2017

> On 2 Jan 2017, at 13:52, Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Michal Skrivanek <michal.skrivanek at redhat.com <mailto:michal.skrivanek at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>> On 2 Jan 2017, at 12:01, Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo at redhat.com <mailto:sbonazzo at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com <mailto:gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> As I wrote, no qemu package proposed. Because oVirt provided qemu is greater in version in respect with 7.3
>> In fact, as I already wrote, I have now
>> qemu-kvm-common-ev-2.3.0-31.el7.16.1.x86_64
>> qemu-img-ev-2.3.0-31.el7.16.1.x86_64
>> qemu-kvm-ev-2.3.0-31.el7.16.1.x86_64
>> qemu-kvm-tools-ev-2.3.0-31.el7.16.1.x86_64
>>
>> Hi Gianluca, I added 2.6.0 to oVirt 4.0 repository at http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-4.0/rpm/el7/ <http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-4.0/rpm/el7/>.
>> It was supposed to be published there with 4.0.6 GA coming ina few days but it has been already tested enough to be promoted to release repository.
>
> it would be best to remove it. We really do not want to get out of sync with platform
>
> Can you please tell me more about this?

we do not want to manually add platform-provided stuff in our repos. We should only put ovirt packages there, like ovirt-*, ioprocess and such. But everything else should be pulled in by external repos, even when it is us who maintain them. Otherwise we often run into conflicts e.g. when platform releases an update of a dependency and we do not release it at the same time in our repo.

> It is already causing problems since qemu-kvm-rhev package is 2.6.0-27 and the one you placed in resources.ovirt.org <http://resources.ovirt.org/> is 2.6.0-27.1 (sure, it’s not a supported combination, but it complicates development)
>
> I'm not sure what's the issue you're describing here.
> qemu-kvm-ev is 2.6.0-27.1 being 2.6.0-27 +2 patches (rebranding and dep fixing) so it's not the same release. Also qemu-kvm-ev is supposed to provide qemu-kvm-rhev.

yes, and when you have qemu-kvm-rhev with ovirt repos it will replace all -rhev packages with -ev because it thinks it’s newer. Not a big deal as indeed it is the same, but it confuses people…

Thanks,
michal