[ovirt-users] packages that can be updated without maintening hosts

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 12:08:40 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Nathanaël Blanchet <blanchet at abes.fr>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> The update notifier in the webadmin was originally designed to alert for
> new vdsm* packages. Now, I noticed that available update of virt packages
> and more are notified. I know that hot updating qemu-kvm package does break
> vms that are running on concerned hosts, but what about other one like
> libvirt-client? I know it is recommended to put in maintenance while
> updating, but can we update some minor packages without waiting for
> migration?

Hot-updating any package should not break any running VMs. If it does, it's
a bug.
I personally agree it's not the best habit to do it nevertheless, and I
expect users to put hosts to maintenance before performing any upgrade.

We cannot tell which update requires maintenance and which doesn't (or for
that matter - requires a reboot or a service restart) - there's no metadata
available to do attached to the packages that can tell us that.
Y.