[ovirt-users] packages that can be updated without maintening hosts

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 13:27:17 UTC 2017

On Jan 23, 2017 3:20 PM, "Nathanaël Blanchet" <blanchet at abes.fr> wrote:

Le 23/01/2017 à 13:08, Yaniv Kaul a écrit :

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Nathanaël Blanchet < <blanchet at abes.fr>
blanchet at abes.fr> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The update notifier in the webadmin was originally designed to alert for
> new vdsm* packages. Now, I noticed that available update of virt packages
> and more are notified. I know that hot updating qemu-kvm package does break
> vms that are running on concerned hosts, but what about other one like
> libvirt-client? I know it is recommended to put in maintenance while
> updating, but can we update some minor packages without waiting for
> migration?

Hot-updating any package should not break any running VMs. If it does, it's
a bug.

The last time I did a qemu-kvm upgrade, my host became down and the vms on
it with a question mark and no possibility to interact with them. My only
solution was to use the "confirm host has rebooted" to fence the vms, and
then the nightmare began : the high

Was the host indeed rebooted?

availaible vms rebooted on an other host while they were still active on
the first one, so they were up on two hosts at the same time. Their disk
began to be written by two vms at the same time and I had to fscsk them to
make them up on the next boot. Some database vms were completely unusabled!

On 4.1 we are going to introduce a feature that will protect against this
situation, by taking a lock on the storage.
Y.

So I'm very surprised to hear that it is possible to do  hot-updating on
these kind of upgrade, and I won't do it anymore!

I personally agree it's not the best habit to do it nevertheless, and I
expect users to put hosts to maintenance before performing any upgrade.

We cannot tell which update requires maintenance and which doesn't (or for
that matter - requires a reboot or a service restart) - there's no metadata
available to do attached to the packages that can tell us that.
Y.

Fax  33 (0)4 67 54 84 14blanchet at abes.fr