[ovirt-users] Storage Domain sizing

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 17:56:10 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 7:33 PM, Marina Kalinin <mkalinin at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> Indeed, lvm adds some overhead when scanning the domains, so there is a
> limit around 300 lvs per domain, where each snapshot of each disk counts as
> a new lv.

We are testing currently 1000 lvs per storage domain. It is slower than 750,
I'm not sure yet how it compared to 100 or 300 lvs.

But basically, the number of lvs is limited, so once the pass the
limit that make
the system too slow for you, you need to add a new storage domain.

If you are managing less then 300 lvs, and you have don't have other reason
to have multiple storage domains (e.g. separate storage servers, separate
users, etc.), few storage domain is best.

I don't know if having more physical devices on the host will lead to better
performance, you will have to test this with your environment.