[ovirt-users] 4.0 x 4.1

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 13:29:01 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Fernando Frediani
<fernando.frediani at upx.com.br> wrote:
> Sounds reasonable.
>
> Out of curiosity what people use or do in order to rollback a failed upgrade

Usually engine-setup rolls back fine if it fails after it started
changing the system.

You can also backup the engine using engine-backup. If you then want
to downgrade,
you can use 'yum history' to undo the relevant transactions, then restore your
backup.

> or an upgrade that can bring instability in the control or operation of the
> cluster ? In VMware as vCenter used to run within a Virtual Machine I used
> to take a snapshot before starting the upgrade.
>
> In oVirt if I have my Engine running in a simple VM somewhere else out of
> the cluster as well I guess that could also be an option.

Indeed. You can use e.g. virt-manager or virsh for that.

You can even use a VM managed by another ovirt engine. I think that's
actually quite common.

> What about when it
> is a self hosted engine. Would it work ?

IIRC this was discussed recently, and the bottom line was that this does not
work currently. I don't remember the details, perhaps you can search the
list archives.

--
Didi