[ovirt-users] oVIRT / GlusterFS / Data (HA)

David Gossage dgossage at carouselchecks.com
Wed Jan 25 02:03:01 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 4:56 PM, Devin Acosta <devin at pabstatencio.com>
wrote:

> I have created an oVIRT 4.0.6 Cluster, it has 2 Compute nodes, and 3
> Dedicated Gluster nodes. The Gluster nodes are configured correctly and
> they have the replica set to 3. I'm trying to figure out when I go to
> attach the Data (Master) domain to the oVIRT manager what is the best
> method to do so in the configuration?  I initially set the mount point to
> be like: gluster01-int:/data, then set in the mount options
> "backup-volfile-servers=gluster02-int:/data,gluster03-int:/data", so I
> understand that will choose another host if the 1st one is down but if i
> was to reboot the 1st Gluster node would that provide HA for my Data
> domain?

If you are mounting with gluster fuse then gluster itself will take care of
making sure mount is available still if one node goes down.  The
backup-volfile settings are so that if the main host in config, here being
gluster01-int, is down when it initially tries to mount on a host it has 2
other hosts in the cluster it can try to connect to which otherwise it
wouldn't know about until after the intial mount was made and it became
aware of the other nodes.

> I also configured ctdb with a floating-ip address that floats between all
> 3 Gluster nodes, and I am wondering if I should be pointing the mount to
> that VIP? What is the best solution with dealing with Gluster and keeping
> your mount HA?

If you use gluster-fuse I don't think that you need the floating IP.  I
think that would be more used if you mounted via nfs.