[ovirt-users] posix compliant fs with ceph rbd

Yura Poltoratskiy yurapoltora at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 09:01:40 UTC 2017

> We prefer Ceph too and we've got our ovirt instance configured in two
> different ways.
>
> 1. Openstack Cinder, each VM's disk will have a single volume in ceph with
> all volumes being under the same pool.

I am familiar with OpenStack, but do not want to deploy parts of it. That's
why I want just to map rbd and use it like VMware uses mapped datastore:
create a file system on it and create a file like virtual block device per
VM, or even without file system at all just by using LVM.

This scenario is not far from iSCSI: we have mapped one block device (with
LVM on top) across all computes, oVirt agent manage volumes on that block
device, and agent manage also mapping themselves. My idea is to do mapping
block device by hand and all other process grant to oVirt.

> 2. Export an RBD via NFS from a gateway machine, this can be a trivially
> small physical or virtual machine that just exports the NFS share that is
> pointed at whatever RBD you choose to use.

I can see two cons:
1. Single point of failure.
2. Potential growth of latency.