[ovirt-users] Nested KVM for oVirt 4.1.2

Martin Sivak msivak at redhat.com
Tue Jun 6 08:34:27 UTC 2017

Hi,

> Real hardware: what I meant to say was I have 4 hosts (not vm's).
> If I understand you correctly, I should install oVirt Node (using the iso)
> on 3 of my hosts & the hosted engine runs as a vm on "Host 1"?

Hosted engine runs as VM on one of the hosts. But not necessarily on
the first one (it can even move if it decides so).

> Why can't the hosted engine run on its own host?

Well you can always run the engine on a physical node directly too.
The question is why would you want that when hosted engine gives you
fail-over and reliability features.

So I would install Node on all four hosts, enable all of them for
hosted engine and enable three of them for Gluster if hyperconverged
is what your want.

Best regards

--
Martin Sivak
SLA / oVirt

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 10:09 AM,  <ovirt at fateknollogee.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> about real hardware and VMs in the same sentence.
>> Suggested minimal deployment is 3 real hardware hosts as hypervisor
>> nodes and hosted engine with hyperconverged deployment.
>> You can use oVirt Node iso in order to do the whole deployment using
>> cockpit.
>>
>>> What is the install process?
>>>
>>> On 2017-05-30 02:42, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 5:18 AM, <ovirt at fateknollogee.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sandro,
>>> If & when one decides to "graduate" & use real hardware, what is the
>>> install process?
>>>
>>> The install process depends on how you want to design your lab .
>>> You can have a small deployment with just 3 hosts in hyperconverged
>>> setup or a large datacenter with 200 hypervisors and one or more
>>> dedicated SAN for the storage.
>>> If you go with an hyperconverged setup, you can install oVirt Node
>>> on
>>> 3 hosts and then on one of them use cockpit to deploy gluster and
>>> hosted engine on top of it in hyperconverged mode.
>>>
>>> You can find an installation guide here:
>>> http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/install-guide/Installation_Guide/
>>> [1]
>>>
>>> Is the gluster part still automated or that has to be done
>>> manually?
>>>
>>> If you go with hyperconverged mode it's now automated. You can find
>>> more info here:
>>>

>> http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/gluster/gdeploy-cockpit-integration/
>>>
>>> [2]
>>> Sahina, please ensure above link is updated. I see it shows the
>>> feature still in WIP while it's been released.
>>>
>>> Another question, what type of use cases & jobs is oVirt being
>>> deployed in & how are people getting tech support?
>>>
>>> About use cases for oVirt you can find some examples here:
>>> http://www.ovirt.org/community/user-stories/users-and-providers/ [3]
>>> If you want dedicated support, I would recommend to get a Red Hat
>>> Virtualization (which is oVirt with technical support and some
>>> additions) subscription getting Red Hat support.
>>> Another place to get support if you stay with oVirt is the
>>> community:
>>> this mailing list, the IRC channel and social media, have a look
>>> here
>>> for other contacts: http://www.ovirt.org/community/ [4]
>>>
>>> On 2017-05-29 04:33, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
>>> On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 10:21 AM, <ovirt at fateknollogee.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I assume people are using oVirt in production?
>>>
>>> Sure, I was just wondering why you were running in nested
>>> virtualization :-)
>>> Being your use case a "playground" environment, I can suggest you to
>>> have a look at Lago http://lago.readthedocs.io/en/stable/ [5] [1]
>>> and at Lago demo at https://github.com/lago-project/lago-demo [6]
>>> [2]
>>> to help you preparing an isolated test environment for your
>>> learning.
>>>
>>> On 2017-05-29 04:13, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:

>>> [3]
>>> [1]
>>> [1]
>>>
>>> I have one CentOS7 host (physical) & 3x oVirt nodes 4.1.2 (these are
>>> vm's).
>>>
>>> Hi, can you please share the use case for this setup?
>>>
>>> I have installed vdsm-hook-nestedvm on the host.
>>>
>>> Should I install vdsm-hook-macspoof on the 3x node vm's?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> SANDRO BONAZZOLA
>>>
>>> ASSOCIATE MANAGER, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, EMEA ENG VIRTUALIZATION R&D
>>>
>>> Red Hat EMEA [3]
>>>
>>> [4]
>>>
>>> TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. [5]
>>>
>>> Links: