[ovirt-users] Hardware for Hyperconverged oVirt: Gluster storage best practice

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Sun Jun 11 08:08:40 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 1:43 PM, <ovirt at fateknollogee.com> wrote:

> Martin,
>
> Looking to test oVirt on real hardware (aka no nesting)
>
> Scenario # 1:
> 1x Supermicro 2027TR-HTRF 2U 4 node server

Is that a hyper-converged setup of both oVirt and Gluster?
We usually do it in batches of 3 nodes.

I will install the o/s for each node on a SATADOM.
> Since each node will have 6x SSD for gluster storage.
> Should this be software RAID, hardware RAID or no RAID?

I'd reckon that you should prefer HW RAID on software RAID, and some RAID
on no RAID at all, but it really depends on your budget, performance, and
your availability requirements.

> Scenario # 2:
> 3x SuperMicro SC216E16-R1200LPB 2U server
> Each server has 24x 2.5" bays (front) + 2x 2.5" bays (rear)
> I will install the o/s on the drives using the rear bays (maybe RAID 1?)

Makes sense (I could not see the rear bays - might have missed them).
Will you be able to put some SSDs there for caching?

> For Gluster, we will use the 24 front bays.
> Should this be software RAID, hardware RAID or no RAID?

Same answer is above.
Y.