[ovirt-users] Recognizing Subinterfaces on oVirt Host

Edward Haas ehaas at redhat.com
Sun Jun 18 06:28:38 UTC 2017

Hello,

The sub-interface you are referring to is just an alias for adding a
secondary IP to the same interface.
In networking terms, it is the same network with multiple subnets (some can
even overlap) and there is no separation between them.

oVirt networks are considered layer 2, as such, only sub-interfaces that
reflect that are supported: VLAN/s.

I am not sure if an interface named em1:1 collide is some way with the root
interface em1, we have never tested such a scenario in oVirt.
But assuming it does not, and em1:1 is just another interface that the
oVirt host ignores, you can attach the VM/s to the em1 interface and do
whatever you will like with em1:1.

Another path to go with this is composing your own handling of the scenario
you need using the oVirt hooks. See:
http://www.ovirt.org/develop/developer-guide/vdsm/hooks
Here is one specific for defining secondary addresses:
https://github.com/oVirt/vdsm/tree/master/vdsm_hooks/extra_ipv4_addrs

Thanks,
Edy.