[ovirt-users] VM Permissions (3.6)

Oved Ourfali oourfali at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 12:03:38 UTC 2017

Hi Alexis,

Permissions in oVirt consist of three parts:
1. The user/group
2. The role
3. The object

So, if you want a user to be able to "use" a VM, it should be enough to
grant him a UserRole on the VM object (no need to go to the system
preferences for that one).
If you want a user to be the owner of a VM (allows more actions on that VM
than UserRole), then you should grant him with UserVmManager on the VM
object.

The role itself consists of actions that are allowed to be done with it.
You can view these actions in the UI through the system preferences dialog.

When you grant permissions on the system preferences dialog, then it means
the "object" you grant on is the "system" object, which is in the higher
part of the objects tree.
Normally you won't need that for users.

As for managing permissions, it can be done either via the UI, or the API,
or one of the SDKs.
I guess it is a matter of preference and needs.

Cheers,
Oved