[ovirt-users] Expand an ovirt+glusterfs cluster

Sahina Bose sabose at redhat.com
Wed Mar 22 07:09:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 5:42 PM, Davide Ferrari <davide at billymob.com> wrote:

> I may add that as of now I've just added the bricks and nothing more, no
> VMs/new disks created in the oVirt cluster (in case i should remove the
> bricks)

>> Hello
>>
>> I have a 4 node oVirt 4.0 cluster running on top of glusterfs volumes,
>> managed by the oVirt cluster (option ticked in the cluster properties)
>>
>> Now, I'm adding several new nodes to this cluster with a better CPU
>> (Broadwell vs Haswell) but now comes the "bad" part. Out of enthusiasm I've
>> already added storage from these new servers to the data volume already
>> present and used by the current cluster. In fact now ovirt has detected new
>> hosts and it's asking me if I want to add these host to the cluster.
>>
>> But there are two problems:
>> 1) I want to create a new, Broadwell cluster

A gluster volume cannot span multiple clusters. If you want to create a
separate cluster with the Broadwell nodes, then create a new gluster volume
using the disks from these nodes - i.e do not expand the existing volume by
adding bricks from the new servers.

> 2) I'm using a separate VLAN+domain name for gluster, and oVirt is
>> proposing me to use the gluster (storage) domain names as the new hosts
>> identifier.

You can add hosts using the Add new host flow - and provide the FQDN that
you want as management interface, and later associate the gluster VLAN with
a network that has "gluster" role.
Please keep in mind that you cannot add this to a new cluster in oVirt if
you have already used bricks from these servers on existing volume in
another cluster