[ovirt-users] The host xxx did not satisfy internal filter Memory because its available memory is too low

Martin Sivak msivak at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 08:57:23 UTC 2017

> Looks like a bug, the "Max free Memory for scheduling new VMs" in the case
> when we do not have memory optimization must be equal to the free memory on
> the host(minus some small amount of the reserved memory).

This is unfortunately not accurate at all.

Max free Memory for scheduling new VMs takes into account the
theoretically possible maximal memory consumption of all running VMs.
But the Linux kernel and Qemu won't eat all the physical memory
immediately. That is why you can see pretty big difference between
those two numbers (free memory and memory available for new VMs).

For example:

Host 10 GiB of RAM
2 running VMs configured to eat 4GiB of RAM each
but the VMs are not doing anything and really use only 1GiB of RAM each

The result? Max memory for new VMs: 2 GiB, Free memory on the host: 8 GiB

How many VMs are you running on the host? What are their memory allocations?

Best regards

--
Martin Sivak
SLA / oVirt