[ovirt-users] Building ovirt-host-deploy gives `configure: error: otopi-devtools required but missing`

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Mon May 15 10:20:44 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Leni Kadali Mutungi
<lenikmutungi at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> does not match any of the local addresses
> [WARNING] Grubby not present - not setting kernel arguments.
> [ ERROR ] Failed to execute stage 'Setup validation': 'VIRT/enable'
> [ INFO  ] Stage: Pre-termination
> [ INFO  ] Stage: Termination
>
> Looking at the log file showed the following errors:
>
> 2017-05-09 14:36:02,309+0300 DEBUG otopi.context
> context._executeMethod:128 Stage boot METHOD
> otopi.plugins.otopi.packagers.yumpackager.Plugin._boot
> 2017-05-09 14:36:02,316+0300 DEBUG
> otopi.plugins.otopi.packagers.yumpackager yumpackager._boot:184 Cannot
> initialize miniyum
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/herabus/otopi/src/bin/../plugins/otopi/packagers/yumpackager.py",
> line 176, in _boot
>     self._refreshMiniyum()
>   File "/home/herabus/otopi/src/bin/../plugins/otopi/packagers/yumpackager.py",
> line 134, in _refreshMiniyum
>     constants.PackEnv.YUM_ENABLED_PLUGINS
>   File "/home/herabus/otopi/src/bin/../plugins/otopi/packagers/yumpackager.py",
> line 61, in _getMiniYum
>     from otopi import miniyum
>   File "/home/herabus/otopi/src/otopi/miniyum.py", line 17, in <module>
>     import rpmUtils.miscutils
> ImportError: No module named rpmUtils.miscutils
> 2017-05-09 14:36:04,550+0300 DEBUG
> otopi.plugins.otopi.network.hostname plugin.execute:921
> execute-output: ('/bin/ip', 'addr', 'show') stdout:
> 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
> group default qlen 1
>     link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
>     inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
>        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
>     inet6 ::1/128 scope host
>        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
> 2: enp3s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state
> DOWN group default qlen 1000
>     link/ether 4c:72:b9:6c:e5:f9 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> 3: wlp2s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state
> DOWN group default qlen 1000
>     link/ether ba:4a:1b:2f:98:ca brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> 4: docker0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue
> state DOWN group default
>     link/ether 02:42:61:40:ef:1d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>     inet 172.17.0.1/16 scope global docker0
>        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
>
> 2017-05-09 14:36:04,550+0300 DEBUG
> otopi.plugins.otopi.network.hostname plugin.execute:926
> execute-output: ('/bin/ip', 'addr', 'show') stderr:
>
> 2017-05-09 14:36:04,551+0300 DEBUG
> otopi.plugins.otopi.network.hostname hostname._validation:100 my
> addresses: ['127.0.1.1', '127.0.1.1', '127.0.1.1']
> 2017-05-09 14:36:04,551+0300 DEBUG
> otopi.plugins.otopi.network.hostname hostname._validation:101 local
> addresses: [u'172.17.0.1']
> 2017-05-09 14:36:04,552+0300 WARNING
> otopi.plugins.otopi.network.hostname hostname._validation:106 Cannot
> validate host name settings, reason: resolved host does not match any

You can ignore this warning for now and get to it later on.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/herabus/otopi/src/otopi/context.py", line 132, in _executeMethod
>     method['method']()
>   File "/home/herabus/ovirt-host-deploy/src/bin/../plugins/ovirt-host-deploy/tune/tuned.py",
> line 75, in _validation
>     if self.environment[odeploycons.VirtEnv.ENABLE]:
> KeyError: 'VIRT/enable'

Now is the time to explain something.

ovirt-host-deploy is not designed to be ran manually like you try.

You will get the exact same error if you try to do this on CentOS or Fedora.

The normal way it works is that the engine "bundles" it in a tarball,
copies it to the target host using ssh, untars it there and runs it.

It then talks with it - the engine sends some stuff, host-deploy replies, etc.

The protocol they use is described in otopi, in the file README.dialog.

otopi has (currently) two "dialects" - "human" (default) and "machine".
The engine and ovirt-host-deploy talk using the machine dialog.

To make ovirt-host-deploy talk with you using the machine dialog,
you should run it with:

ovirt-host-deploy DIALOG/dialect=str:machine

To make it let you configure it, run it with:

ovirt-host-deploy DIALOG/dialect=str:machine DIALOG/customization=bool:True

To know what it expects at each stage, I suggest to have a look at an
ovirt-host-deploy log generated on el7 or fedora.

Anyway, congrats for a nice progress!

> I tried starting the libvirtd service to see if that would make the
> VIRT/enable error go away or at least satisfy the requirements of
> ovirt-host-deploy, but it didn't seem to work.

If you check such a log file, you'll see there (among other things):

DIALOG:SEND       **%QStart: CUSTOMIZATION_COMMAND
DIALOG:SEND       ###
DIALOG:SEND       ### Customization phase, use 'install' to proceed
DIALOG:SEND       ### COMMAND>
DIALOG:SEND       **%QHidden: FALSE
DIALOG:SEND       ***Q:STRING CUSTOMIZATION_COMMAND
DIALOG:SEND       **%QEnd: CUSTOMIZATION_COMMAND
DIALOG:RECEIVE    env-query -k VIRT/enable
DIALOG:SEND       **%QStart: VIRT/enable
DIALOG:SEND       ###
DIALOG:SEND       ### Please specify value for 'VIRT/enable':
DIALOG:SEND       ### Response is VALUE VIRT/enable=type:value or
ABORT VIRT/enable
DIALOG:SEND       ***Q:VALUE VIRT/enable
DIALOG:SEND       **%QEnd: VIRT/enable
DIALOG:RECEIVE    VALUE VIRT/enable=bool:true

"SEND" is what the host-deploy sends, "RECEIVE" is what the engine