[ovirt-users] Building ovirt-host-deploy gives `configure: error: otopi-devtools required but missing`

Leni Kadali Mutungi lenikmutungi at gmail.com
Mon May 15 19:42:34 UTC 2017

On 5/15/17, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:

> Now is the time to explain something.
>
> ovirt-host-deploy is not designed to be ran manually like you try.
>
> You will get the exact same error if you try to do this on CentOS or
> Fedora.
>
> The normal way it works is that the engine "bundles" it in a tarball,
> copies it to the target host using ssh, untars it there and runs it.
>
> It then talks with it - the engine sends some stuff, host-deploy replies,
> etc.

I'm guessing this means I can now move on to building ovirt-engine.

> The protocol they use is described in otopi, in the file README.dialog.
>
> otopi has (currently) two "dialects" - "human" (default) and "machine".
> The engine and ovirt-host-deploy talk using the machine dialog.
>
> To make ovirt-host-deploy talk with you using the machine dialog,
> you should run it with:
>
> ovirt-host-deploy DIALOG/dialect=str:machine
>
> To make it let you configure it, run it with:
>
> ovirt-host-deploy DIALOG/dialect=str:machine DIALOG/customization=bool:True
>
> To know what it expects at each stage, I suggest to have a look at an
> ovirt-host-deploy log generated on el7 or fedora.

This is very useful; will definitely try this out.
> Anyway, congrats for a nice progress!
Thanks. I wouldn't have come this far without the community's help and
the documentation.

>> I tried starting the libvirtd service to see if that would make the
>> VIRT/enable error go away or at least satisfy the requirements of
>> ovirt-host-deploy, but it didn't seem to work.
>
> If you check such a log file, you'll see there (among other things):
>
> DIALOG:SEND       **%QStart: CUSTOMIZATION_COMMAND
> DIALOG:SEND       ###
> DIALOG:SEND       ### Customization phase, use 'install' to proceed
> DIALOG:SEND       ### COMMAND>
> DIALOG:SEND       **%QHidden: FALSE
> DIALOG:SEND       ***Q:STRING CUSTOMIZATION_COMMAND
> DIALOG:SEND       **%QEnd: CUSTOMIZATION_COMMAND
> DIALOG:RECEIVE    env-query -k VIRT/enable
> DIALOG:SEND       **%QStart: VIRT/enable
> DIALOG:SEND       ###
> DIALOG:SEND       ### Please specify value for 'VIRT/enable':
> DIALOG:SEND       ### Response is VALUE VIRT/enable=type:value or
> ABORT VIRT/enable
> DIALOG:SEND       ***Q:VALUE VIRT/enable
> DIALOG:SEND       **%QEnd: VIRT/enable
> DIALOG:RECEIVE    VALUE VIRT/enable=bool:true
>
> "SEND" is what the host-deploy sends, "RECEIVE" is what the engine
> replies.
>
> So host-deploy sent a prompt asking for a customization command,
> the engine sent the command 'env-query -k VIRT/enable', host-deploy
> then asked the engine to provide a value for 'VIRT/enable', and the
> engine replied 'VIRT/enable=bool:true'.

Okay. Will try to look into this as well.

>> The other errors seem
>> to be related to not having an IP address that ovirt-host-deploy can
>> recognize. To package this for Debian, I would need to find the
>> equivalent of yumpackager.py for aptitude/apt-get/apt, since it seems
>> to be a dependency required by ovirt-host-deploy.
>
> As I said, you can ignore it for now. But IMO this isn't specific
> to Debian - search a bit and you'll find other similar cases.
Alright. Good to know. :)

>> TL;DR: How to enable the virt service and assign an IP address that
>> ovirt-host-deploy can use.
>> Write/Find a python script that is equivalent to yumpackager.py and
>> miniyum.py so that that dependency for ovirt-host-deploy is satisfied
>> as well.
>
> Last one will indeed be very interesting, but isn't mandatory for you
> to continue, if your stated goal is to have a Debian host managed by
> an oVirt engine. You can manually install all your stuff on the host,
> and use offlinepackager so that host-deploy will not try to install
> stuff for you. You'll then have a harder first-time-install, and
> will miss checking for updates etc. For these you'll indeed need to
> write something like debpackager, and probably minideb as well -
> engine-setup uses it directly, as otopi's packager isn't enough for it.
>
> I'd like to mention another point. As explained above, when the engine
> adds a host, it copies to it a bundle (tarfile). This bundle is not
> rpm/yum/dnf specific - it should work also on Debian. Normally,
> ovirt-host-deploy (the rpm package) is installed only on the engine
> machine. So if you do not care about the engine side for now, you
> should be able to try adding a Debian host to your engine already -
> just configure offline packager. This might be easier to debug then
> by manually running ovirt-host-deploy.
Well, my aim is to run oVirt *on* Debian, similar to how it is run and
used by users on say Fedora or RHEL/CentOS. So that's what is guiding
me. If your suggestions need to revised in the light of that, do let
me know.

- Warm regards
Leni Kadali Mutungi