[ovirt-users] Smtp configuration for notification

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Wed May 17 07:24:25 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:16 PM, wodel youchi <wodel.youchi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When we install the vm engine, in the configuration process we are asked
> to give an smtp server and email addresses for notification but then
> nothing.
> When we looked to the event notification configuration we found this
> file ovirt-engine-notifier.conf and we thought that the first
> configuration was there but since the notification service was disabled
> notifications were not working, but No, there was no configuration on that
> file we had to modify it and now notifications are working.
> The question is : is the first smtp configuration used ? If yes, when? Can
> we test it ? And if we want to modify it, where the configuration is stored
> ?

We have two distinct things here:
- smtp configuration for ovirt-ha-agent
- smtp configuration for ovirt-engine-notifier

The first one is going to report just about the local status of the engine
VM monitored by ovirt-ha-agent on the different involved hosts; its
configuration is saved on the hosted-engine storage domain and you can edit
it with 'hosted-engine --set-shared-config ...'.
ovirt-engine-notifier instead could cover different events on different
entities but it relies on a working engine that's why we have a distinct
mechanism just to cover the status of the engine VM.