[ovirt-users] oVirt node with SHE on FC

Ryan Barry rbarry at redhat.com
Thu Sep 14 12:54:30 UTC 2017

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Simone Tiraboschi <stirabos at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> Are the ovirt repos already setup when I have installed from the iso or do
> I have to install ovirt-release-xx rpm?

They're already ready-to-go, so engine will pick up any updates when
there's available.

> I'm exploring situations where NGN could be suitable better than full
> CentOS OS for hypervisors and I would like to know clearly advantages and
> limits.

The primary advantage is that it's a system which comes ready for oVirt,
and the entire thing is updated in one shot, with rollback capability. So
you can "yum upgrade" from 4.0.3 (for example) to 4.1.5 in one command, and

As of 4.1, we also reinstall any vendor tooling you've installed with yum,
so packages "stick" across images. If all you want is a hypervisor, and you
don't need the flexibility of a full CentOS host, Node is probably a good
choice.

> Thanks in advance
>

>> On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Gianluca Cecchi <
>> gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> it is not clear to me the exact workflow in case of testing what in
>>> object.
>>>
>>> For sure first step is to install base node from iso.
>>> NGN has no more read only filesystem.
>>> Does this mean that I have to set up eg multipath for FC LUNs (engine
>>> and data domain) before running the engine setup via cockpit?
>>> Or when I specify FC in type of storage domain it would ask and setup
>>> automatically multipath for me?
>>>

>> No, it doesn't: HBA and mutipath are supposed to be directly configured
>> before running hosted-engine-setup.
>> It's exactly the same as for vlan and bonding.
>>

> Ah, ok.
> So I can also customize my multipath.conf file on oVirt Node as desired,
> if storage vendor requires it, using
>
> # VDSM REVISION 1.3
> # VDSM PRIVATE
>
> as I do in regular CentOS 7, correct?

Yep, you can configure it exactly like CentOS 7.

The VDSM header is not required AFAIK.

> And if so, what is the mapping of "1.3" in VDSM REVISION line above?
> I didn't find reference in oVirt docs and also in RHEV kb I only found
> this:
> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/43458

The idea of persistence is gone in oVirt Node 4.x, so you don't need to
worry about any of this.