[ovirt-users] Huge pages in guest with newer oVirt versions

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 09:39:46 UTC 2017

Hello,
I would like to go again in deep with what preliminary tested and already
discussed here:

http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2017-April/081320.html

I'm testing an oVirt node in 4.1.6-pre

I don't find the vdsm hook for huge pages; doing a search I get these:

vdsm-hook-ethtool-options.noarch : Allow setting custom ethtool options for
vdsm controlled nics
vdsm-hook-fcoe.noarch : Hook to enable FCoE support
vdsm-hook-openstacknet.noarch : OpenStack Network vNICs support for VDSM
vdsm-hook-vfio-mdev.noarch : Hook to enable mdev-capable devices.
vdsm-hook-vhostmd.noarch : VDSM hook set for interaction with vhostmd
vdsm-hook-vmfex-dev.noarch : VM-FEX vNIC support for VDSM

Did anything change between 4.1.1 and 4.1.5/4.1.6?

I'm making preliminary tests with an Oracle RDBMS and HammerDB in both a
physical server and a "big" VM inside another same hw server configured
with oVirt.

Results are not bad, but I would like to see having huge pages inside the
guest how could change results.

Just for reference:

The 2 Physical server are blades with each one:
2 sockets, each one with 14 cores and ht enabled, so in total 56
computational threads
256Gb ram
huge pages enabled

VM configured with this virtual hw on one of them:
2 sockets, each one with 6 cores and ht so in total 24 computational threads
64Gb ram
no huge pages at the moment

Oracle SGA is 32Gb on both physical rdbms and virtual one.

Thanks for any insight to test huge pages in guest

Gianluca