[ovirt-users] oVirt non-self-hosted HA

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Thu Apr 5 09:29:09 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 9:08 AM, TomK <tomkcpr at mdevsys.com> wrote:

> On 4/4/2018 3:11 AM, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 12:39 AM, Tom <tk at mdevsys.com <mailto:
>> tk at mdevsys.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>     On Apr 3, 2018, at 9:32 AM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com
>>     <mailto:ykaul at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>

>>>     On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 3:12 PM, TomK <tomkcpr at mdevsys.com
>>>     <mailto:tomkcpr at mdevsys.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>         Hey Guy's,
>>>
>>>         If I'm looking to setup the oVirt engine in an HA
>>>         configuration off the physical servers hosting my VM's (non
>>>         self hosted), what are my options here?
>>>
>>>         I want to setup two to four active oVirt engine instances
>>>         elsewhere and handle the HA via something like haproxy /
>>>         keepalived to keep the entire experience seamless to the user.
>>>

>>>     You will need to set up the oVirt engine service as well as the PG
>>>     database (and ovirt-engine-dwhd service and any other service we
>>>     run next to the engine) as highly available module.
>>>     In pacemaker[1], for example.
>>>     You'll need to ensure configuration is also sync'ed between nodes,
>>>     etc.
>>>     Y.
>>>

>>     So already have one ovirt engine setup separately on a vm that
>>     manages two remote physical hosts.  So familiar with the single host
>>     approach which I would simply replicate.  At least that’s the idea
>>     anyway.  Could you please expand a bit on the highly available
>>     module and  syncing the config between hosts?
>>

>> That's a different strategy, which is also legit - you treat this VM as a
>> highly available resource. Now you do not need to sync the config - just
>> the VM disk and config.
>>

> I think there's a postgres component too and if oVirt engine keeps all
> it's date on the postgres tables, then synchronizing this piece might be
> all I need?  I'm not sure how the separate oVirt engines sitting on various
> separate physical hosts keep their settings in sync about the rest of the
> physicals in an oVirt environment. (Assume we may have 100 oVirt physicals
> for example.)

There's more than just the database, although it contains 99% of what you
need. See the content of the result of 'engine-backup' command.
I think you might be somewhat confusing between the number of oVirt
hypervisors (we support hundreds) and the Engine - the management, which is
single - and with hosted-engine, it's a single, but highly available
virtual machine - that can run on one of several (I suggest 3-8) of those
hypervisors.
Y.