[ovirt-users] Ovirt 4.2. Isolated (host-only) network

spfma.tech at e.mail.fr spfma.tech at e.mail.fr
Wed Apr 11 11:01:08 UTC 2018

Hi,
   Yes, clear informations about this are not available and I had to try a little bit before getting a result.   The thing is you can create an internal network but it has to be linked to some device, otherwise the network will be considered as "non functional" and your domain, server or datacenter (depending at which level you decide to set ip), will return errors. At the datacenter level, I wasn't even able to have a usable infrastructure before correcting this.   The solution is very close to your idea, so what about connecting these VMs to a "ghost" network interface, which is just existing virtually and behaving like a real one but without bothering you ?    This thing is called the "dummy" module, and can be configured at OS level.   * Configure and use the "dummy" module and create an active interface   - /etc/modprobe.d/dummy.conf
 install dummy /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install dummy; ip link add dummy_1 type dummy
 - /etc/modules-load.d/dummy.conf
 # Dummy net driver for internal network
 dummy   * Configure this device "dummy_1" as linked to a dedicated bridge "smb_testing". - /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-dummy_1
 # Generated by VDSM version 4.20.23-1.el7.centos
 DEVICE=dummy_1
 BRIDGE=smb_testing
 ONBOOT=yes
 MTU=1500
 DEFROUTE=no
 NM_CONTROLLED=no
 IPV6INIT=no
   * Classic bridge definition.
 - /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-smb_testing
 # Generated by VDSM version 4.20.23-1.el7.centos
 DEVICE=smb_testing
 TYPE=Bridge
 DELAY=0
 STP=off
 ONBOOT=yes
 MTU=1500
 DEFROUTE=no
 NM_CONTROLLED=no
 IPV6INIT=yes
 IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes   You can now attach this network to your machines, and they will be able to communicate through it.

My main concern now is : will this configuration survive if I modify things and network scripts are regenerated by the engine ?

Regards

 Le 09-Apr-2018 08:37:23 +0200, a_shilov at inbox.ru a crit:

Hi List!

Recently I've started using ovirt 4.2 and faced that I cannot find any guide how to do it in ovirt.org documentation.

Need help with configure isolated/host-only (not connect to real NIC) network that allowed to communicate two or more VMs into private network. May be exist a solution? I did it such: linked logical networt to real NIC without connect anywhere (link - DOWN), but this solution is a little bit odd. How to exclude read NIC?