[ovirt-users] Duplicate host_id after deployment via GUI, how is the hosted engine host_id selected?

Thomas Klute klute at ingenit.com
Mon Apr 23 10:54:15 UTC 2018

Dear oVirt Users,

we installed a third ovirt node using the ovirt node ng image (4.2.2),
and added that node using the web interface of the hosted engine:

Compute->Hosts->New - including the Hosted engine option "Choose hosted
engine deployment action" set to "Deploy"

After that we found out, that on the new node the host_id entry was
causing problems. In

/etc/ovirt-hosted-engine/hosted-engine.conf

we found the entry

host_id=2

But that host id already exists and was alive during deployment process.
So my questions are:

  * How is the host id chosen (when adding a new host via GUI)?
  * Is there an option to preselect the host id in the GUI for a new node?
  * How can we prevent further duplicate host ids?

Thanks and best regards,
Thomas

 Dipl.-Inform. Thomas Klute                           klute at ingenit.com
 Geschäftsführer / CEO
 ingenit GmbH & Co. KG                       Tel. +49 (0)231 58 698-120
 Emil-Figge-Strasse 76-80                    Fax. +49 (0)231 58 698-121
 D-44227 Dortmund                                       www.ingenit.com

 Registergericht: Amtsgericht Dortmund, HRA 13 914
 Gesellschafter : Thomas Klute, Marc-Christian Schröer