[ovirt-users] NetworkManager with oVirt version 4.2.0

Edward Haas ehaas at redhat.com
Sun Feb 4 07:30:15 UTC 2018

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 9:06 AM, maoz zadok <maozza at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
> I'm new to oVirt, I'm trying with no success to set up the networking on
> an oVirt 4.2.0 node, and I think I'm missing something.
>
> background:
> interfaces em1-4 is bonded to bond0
> VLAN configured on bond0.1
> and bridged to ovirtmgmt for the management interface.
>
> I'm not sure its updated to version 4.2.0 but I followed this post:
> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/networking/bonding-vlan-bridge/

It looks like an old howto, we will need to update or remove it.

> with this setting, the NetworkManager keep starting up on reboot,
> and the interfaces are not managed by oVirt (and the nice traffic graphs
> are not shown).

For the interfaces to be owned by oVirt, you will need to add the host to
Engine.
So I would just configure everything up to the VLAN (slaves, bond, VLAN)
with NetworkManager prior to adding it to Engine. The bridge should be
created when you add the host.
(assuming the VLAN you mentioned is your management interface and its ip is
the one used by Engine)

> my question:
> Is  NetworkManager need to be disabled as in the above post?

No (for 4.1 and 4.2)

Do I need to manage the networking using (nmtui) NetworkManager?

You better use cockpit or nmcli to configure the node before you add it to
Engine.