[ovirt-users] ovirt and gateway behavior

Martin Sivak msivak at redhat.com
Tue Feb 6 15:45:31 UTC 2018

> This is expected behaviour, even if it’s not very bright. It’s being used as
> a way to detect network is operating correctly.

Correct, it is used to check whether users can reach the host and the
VM that runs on it. There aren't that many options to check that. All
require data exchange of some kind (ICMP req/res, TCP SYN/ACK, some
UDP echo..).

> It is insane as there are so many ways it breaks.  My network admin turns
> off ICMP responses and death to network.

ICMP is an important signaling mechanism.. seriously, it is usually a
bad idea to block it.

> I got this trying to install on a network with out a gateway.

How were your users accessing the VMs? Was this some kind of super
secure deployment with no outside connectivity?

Best regards

Martin Sivak