[ovirt-users] Network Topologies

aeR7Re aeR7Re at protonmail.com
Sun Feb 11 21:29:41 UTC 2018

Hello,
I'm looking for some advice on or even just some examples of how other oVirt users have configured networking inside their clusters.

Currently we're running a cluster with hosts spread across multiple racks in our DC, with layer 2 spanned between them for VM networks. While this is functional, it's 100% not ideal as there's multiple single points of failure and at some point someone is going to accidentally loop it :)

What we're after is a method of providing a VM network across multiple racks where there are no single points of failure. We've got layer 3 switches in racks capable of running an IGP/EGP.

Current ideas:
- Run a routing daemon on each VM and have it advertise a /32 to the distribution switch
- OVN for layer 2 between hosts + potentially VRRP or similar on the distribution switch

So as per my original paragraph, any advice on the most appropriate network topology for an oVirt cluster? or how have you set up your networks?

Thank you