[ovirt-users] effectiveness of "discard=unmap"

Matthias Leopold matthias.leopold at meduniwien.ac.at
Mon Feb 12 11:55:50 UTC 2018

Hi Idan,

thanks for your answer. But i'm still confused, because i thought that
the content of /sys/block/dm-X/queue/discard* in the VM OS should depend
on the setting of the "discard=(unmap|ignore)" setting in the qemu-kvm
command. Unexpectedly it's the same in both cases (it's >0, saying
discard is 'on'). I was then trying to inquire about the TRIM/UNMAP
capability of block devices in the VM with "sdparm -p lbp /dev/sdx", but
i always get "Logical block provisioning (SBC) mode subpage failed".

I know i can (and should) look at the storage array to see if
TRIM/UNMAP _actually_ works, but documentation
(https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/block/queue-sysfs.txt) says it
should be visible beforehand to my understanding.

Regards
Matthias