[ovirt-users] effectiveness of "discard=unmap"

Idan Shaby ishaby at redhat.com
Mon Feb 12 12:40:54 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 1:55 PM, Matthias Leopold <
matthias.leopold at meduniwien.ac.at> wrote:

> Hi Idan,
>
> thanks for your answer. But i'm still confused, because i thought that the
> content of /sys/block/dm-X/queue/discard* in the VM OS should depend on the
> setting of the "discard=(unmap|ignore)" setting in the qemu-kvm command.
> Unexpectedly it's the same in both cases (it's >0, saying discard is 'on').
> I was then trying to inquire about the TRIM/UNMAP capability of block
> devices in the VM with "sdparm -p lbp /dev/sdx", but i always get "Logical
> block provisioning (SBC) mode subpage failed".

The file /sys/block/dm-X/queue/discard_max_bytes in sysfs tells you whether
your underlying storage supports discard.
The flag discard=unmap of the VM in qemu means that qemu will not throw
away the UNMAP commands comming from the guest OS (by default it does throw
them away).