[ovirt-users] Ovirt backups lead to unresponsive VM

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Tue Feb 13 17:33:39 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 3:19 PM Alex K <rightkicktech at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a cluster with 3 nodes, using ovirt 4.1 in a self hosted setup on
> top glusterfs.
> On some VMs (especially one Windows server 2016 64bit with 500 GB of
> disk). Guest agents are installed at VMs. i almost always observe that
> during the backup of the VM the VM is rendered unresponsive (dashboard
> shows a question mark at the VM status and VM does not respond to ping or
> to anything).
>
> For scheduled backups I use:
>
> https://github.com/wefixit-AT/oVirtBackup
>
> The script does the following:
>
> 1. snapshot VM (this is done ok without any failure)

This is a very cheap operation

> 2. Clone snapshot (this steps renders the VM unresponsive)

This copy 500g of data. In gluster case, it copies 1500g of data, since in
glusterfs, the client
is doing the replication.

Maybe your network or gluster server is too slow? Can you describe the
network topology?

Please attach also the volume info for the gluster volume, maybe it is not
configured in the
best way?

> 3. Export Clone

This copy 500g to the export domain. If the export domain is on glusterfs
as well, you
copy now another 1500g of data.

> 4. Delete clone
>
> 5. Delete snapshot

Not clear why do you need to clone the vm before you export it, you can
save half of
the data copies.

If you 4.2, you can backup the vm *while the vm is running* by:
- Take a snapshot
- Get the vm ovf from the engine api
- Download the vm disks using ovirt-imageio and store the snaphosts in your
backup
  storage
- Delete a snapshot

In this flow, you would copy 500g.

Daniel, please correct me if I'm wrong regarding doing this online.

Regardless, a vm should not become non-responsive while cloning. Please
file a bug
for this and attach engine, vdsm, and glusterfs logs.

Nir

Do you have any similar experience? Any suggestions to address this?