[ovirt-users] Unable to put Host into Maintenance mode

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Fri Feb 16 20:30:01 UTC 2018

On Feb 15, 2018 7:35 PM, "Christopher Cox" <ccox at endlessnow.com> wrote:

On 02/15/2018 11:10 AM, Michal Skrivanek wrote:
..snippity... with regards to oVirt 3.5

> that’s a really old version….

I know I'll catch heat for this, but by "old" you mean like December of
2015?  Just trying put things into perspective.  Thus it goes with the
ancient and decrepit Red Hat Ent. 7.1 days, right?

I know, I know, FOSS... the only thing worse than running today's code is
running yesterday's.

We still run a 3.5 oVirt in our dev lab, btw.  But I would not have set
that up (not that I would have recommended oVirt to begin with), preferring
3.4 at the time.  I would have waited for 3.6.

With that said, 3.5 isn't exactly on the "stable line" to Red Hat
Virtualization, that was 3.4 and then 3.6.

Red Hat doesn't support 3.x anymore, unless its 3.6 with specific
subscription that extends its support.

Some people can't afford major (downtime) upgrades every 3-6 months or so.
But, arguably, maybe we shouldn't be running oVirt.  Maybe it's not
designed for "production".

3.4,5,6 are minor releases of 3.x.
The same way that 4.1 and 4.2 are minor releases of 4.x.
I agree that with lots of changing landscape (for example, the move from
EL6 to EL7) and with the number of features introduced, they don't seem
that minor. But there's an ongoing effort to both keep backwards
compatibility as well continously improve quality - which regretfully,
requires updating from time to time.

I guess oVirt isn't really for production by definition, but many of us are
doing so.

So... not really a "ding" against oVirt developers, it's just a rapidly
moving target with the normal risks that come with that.  People just need
to understand that.

And with that said, the fact that many of us are running those ancient
decrepit evil versions of oVirt in production today, is actually a
testimony to its quality.  Good job devs!

Or a warning sign that upgrade is not yet easy as it should be. I believe
we've improved the experience and quality of the upgrade flow over time,
but we can certainly do a better job.

I also think there are two additional factors :
1. Don't fix what ain't broken - it works, why bother? Not much the oVirt
community can do here.
2. Newer versions do not provide enough incentive to upgrade. This is a
tougher one - I believe they do, both in terms of quality as well as new
features that bring value to different use-cases. However, we may not be
doing enough 'marketing' work around them, or they are not documented well
enough, etc.
Y.