[ovirt-users] Q: 2-Node Failover Setup - NFS or GlusterFS ?

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Mon Jan 1 08:10:27 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 12:50 AM, Andrei V <andreil1 at starlett.lv> wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm installing 2-node failover cluster (2 x Xeon servers with local RAID
> 5 / ext4 for oVirt storage domains).
> Now I have a dilemma - use either GlusterFS replica 2 or stick with NFS?

Replica 2 is not good enough, as it can leave you with split brain. It's
been discussed in the mailing list several times.
How do you plan to achieve HA with NFS? With drbd?

> 4.2 Engine is running on separate hardware.

Is the Engine also highly available?

> Each node have its own storage domain (on internal RAID).

So some sort of replica 1 with geo-replication between them?

> All VMs must be highly available.

Without shared storage, it may be tricky.

One of the VMs is an accounting/stock control system with FireBird SQL
> server on CentOS is speed-critical.

But is IO the bottleneck? Are you using SSDs / NVMe drives?
I'm not familiar enough with FireBird SQL server - does it have an
application layer replication you might opt to use?
In such case, you could pass-through a NVM disk and have the application
layer perform the replication between the nodes.

> No load balancing between nodes necessary. 2nd is just for backup if 1st
> for whatever reason goes up in smoke. All VM disks must be replicated to
> backup node in near real-time or in worst case each 1 - 2 hour.
> GlusterFS solves this issue yet at high performance penalty.

The problem with a passive backup is that you never know it'll really work
when needed. This is why active-active is many time preferred.
It's also more cost effective usually - instead of some HW lying around.

> From what I read here
> http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2017-July/083144.html
> GlusterFS performance with oVirt is not very good right now because QEMU
> uses FUSE instead of libgfapi.
>
> What is optimal way to go on ?

It's hard to answer without additional details.
Y.