[ovirt-users] Guest CPU reported 100%

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 19:56:25 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 8:43 PM, Alex K <rightkicktech at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all and Happy New Year!
>
> I have a ovirt 4.1.3.5 cluster (running with 3 nodes and shared gluster
> storage).
> I have randomly observed that some Windows 10 64bit VMs are reported from
> engine dashboard with 100%CPU while when connecting within the VM the CPU
> utilization is normal.
> Sometimes, when reported with 100% CPU I cannot get a console at VM
> (console gives black screen) then I have to force shutdown the VM and start
> it up again. The only warning I see is in the qemu logs of the guest
> reporting that CPUs not present in any NUMA nodes.
>
> Any ideas how to tackle this?
>
> Thanx,
> Alex

Hi Alex,
I have seen something similar but on ISCSI domain environment and not
GlusterFS one, when I got problems with the storage array (in my case it
was a firmware update that lasted too much) and the VMs were paused and
after some seconds reactivated again.
For some of them I registered the related qemu-kvm process going to fixed
100% cpu usage and unable to open spice console (black screen). But in my
case also the VM itself was stuck: unable to connect to it via network or
ping.
I had to force power off the VM and power on it again. Some other VMs
resumed from pause state without any apparent problem (apart from clock
unsync).
Both the good and bad VMs had ovirt guest agent running: they were CentOS
6.5 VMs
Perhaps your situation is something in the middle.... verify you didn't had
any problem with your storage and that your problematic VM had not been
paused/resumed due to that

Gianluca