[ovirt-users] ovirt-live 4.2 - missing stable ISO? + Networking question - when to setup host & in NM or ifcfg?

Wed Jan 10 06:35:41 UTC 2018

I'm trying to find the stable / current oVirt-live ISO to download.

According to the official documentation, it looks like there is only the legacy 4.1 ISO, or nightly / unstable builds of 4.2(.2?)?

SRC: https://www.ovirt.org/download/ovirt-live/ <https://www.ovirt.org/download/ovirt-live/>

---

Alternatively, if one is to deploy the 'self-hosted-engine' on top of CentOS 7.4, the documentation doesn't make it clear what you should vs shouldn't setup on the host prior to deploying the hosted engine.

For example, some big questions pop up around networking, e.g.:

- Should I be setting those up during CentOS's install using the installer (which I believe configures them with Network Manager), or should I be setting up the ifcfg files manually by hand without touching Network Manager via the server's remote console after the install has finished?

- Is it OK for me to setup my first two NICs in a mode 1 (A/P) or 4 (XOR) bond (these are connected to a 'dumb' switch and provide internet access and later will be used for management activities such as vm migrations).

- Is it OK for me to setup my second two NICs in a LACP bond (required as they connect to our core switches) and to add VLANs on top of that bond, include the storage VLAN required for iSCSI access which is later required to host the hosted-engine?

SRC: https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/self-hosted/chap-Deploying_Self-Hosted_Engine/ <https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/self-hosted/chap-Deploying_Self-Hosted_Engine/>

---

I think the hardest thing is that the documentation for oVirt seems very poorly maintained, or it's at least scattered around various links or different guides.

Perhaps this isn't obvious to people that are already familiar with the components, terminology and setup practises of oVirt / RHEV, but for someone like me coming from XenServer - it's confusing as anything.

Example diagram of infrastructure: https://i.imgur.com/U4hCP3a.png <https://i.imgur.com/U4hCP3a.png>

--
Sam McLeod (protoporpoise on IRC)
https://smcleod.net

Words are my own opinions and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or partners.